Friday, March 8, 2013

Acorn Pancakes (or Waffles)

This is up there as one of my favorite ways to work with acorn flour in a baking/bread situation. You can take this same recipe and use it in a waffle iron to make waffles as well. As I've mentioned in my ACorn bread recipe, I really emphasize making acorns close to half of the dry ingredients, allowing them space as stars and not just side roles. Acorns are rich and buttery and take care and time to prepare, so it seems a shame to me to only add a dash of acorn flour to something. Especially in something so classic and awesome as a pancake or waffle. Like most of my bread recipes, grain ingredients soak and ferment at least 8 hrs to break down enzyme inhibitors, release & add nutrition, and for texture and superb flavor. Finally, I find it hard to believe many folks can resist a hot pancake dripping in butter, autumnberry jam, and maple syrup!

I should note: you may notice that after eating one or two pancakes or waffles (depending on size), you feel more satiated than you may when eating a straight flour, unfermented pancake or waffle. I generally reach a generous feeling of "stuffed" after three pancakes or waffles. The acorns are super nutritious and hearty, and I find myself wanting or being able to eat less. Plus, the energy from this food feels more sustained and nourishing, especially from the fermentation process.

Acorn Pancakes (or Waffles)



What You Need:


1 1/2 cups wheat (or your favorite grain) flour
1 1/2 cups acorn leached acorn flour
2  cups milk, preferably raw or organic/grass-fed.
2 eggs, separated
3-4 tbsp maple syrup
4-5 tbsp melted butter
pinch of salt



  • The night before your pancake breakfast, mix your  flour and milk together in a bowl. It should have a loose consistency, similar to paint. Cover and set somewhere warm to ferment/soak.

  • The following day, uncover your batter for observation. It should be slightly bubbly and much thicker.

  • Preheat your griddle or waffle iron.

  • Whip the egg whites to a soft peak in a glass bowl with a pinch of salt.

  • Gently incorporate the whipped egg whites into the mixture.

  • One at a time, add the acorn flour, egg yolks, melted butter, maple syrup, and another pinch of salt to the batter. Mix each in carefully and thoroughly (trying not to deflate the whipped eggwhite).

  • Ladle the mixture onto your griddle or waffle iron and cook them until a crispy, light brown crust forms on the outside. I start with one to get a feel for how long I want to cook them—cooking it until I think its perfect, then breaking it open and trying a few bites.

  • Once cooked, stack the pancakes or waffles on a big plate.

  • Pull out the butter, maple syrup, an favorite sauce or jam. I pile thick knobs of butter, a few healthy spoonfuls of autumnberry or wild blueberry jam, and light drizzle of maple syrup and dig in!

2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks good and I would love to try it. How do you prepare the acorns though? Can you do an article on how to make "leached acorn flour"?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha... Good question. The answer to which I aim to publish here in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, allow me to direct you to Samuel Thayer's fantastic book Nature's Garden. I'll be publishing a post on my technique which is similar to Sam's.

    ReplyDelete